The Sonora International Opera Competition Francisco Araiza is created with the purpose of supporting the professional development of young opera singers from around the world, and to recognize Francisco Araiza, one of Mexico’s most respected tenors. The contest also will promote the State of Sonora [Mexico] as a breeding ground of great talents and culture. The contest will be held annually within the International Pitic Festival, at the Teatro Auditorio del Cobach, located at Blvd. Vildosola, SN-S, Villa del Seris, Hermosillo, Sonora, 83280.
- Any missing or information missing from the entry form, will automatically render the application invalid
- All official documents must be scanned in their original color, as proof of age and nationality.
- All applications will be reviewed by the organizing committee, and their deliberations are final.
The Contest is open to singers from all around the world, without distinction or preference.
1. Ages: Men and women between 18 and 38 years old, until the date of the final phase of the Contest. There are no exceptions to this rule.
2. The deadline for applications is March 28, 2017. The application fee to the preliminary rounds is 1,000 (one thousand Mexican pesos) (approximately 50 US dollars).
3. Payments are to be received via wire transfer to the following bank account:
- Name: Instituto Municipal de Cultura y Arte
- NºCTA: 0109768793
- Cta. CLABE: 012760001097687938
- SWIF: BCMRMXMMPYM
- Beneficiario: BBVABANCOMERMEXICO + CLABE
All bank commissions and fees are the responsibility of the contestant.
For payments via PayPal Click here.
*All contestants reaching the final phase of the contest have to make a second installment of 1,000 Mexican pesos (approximately 50 US dollars), to the bank account mentioned before. Upon their arrival to Hermosillo to the final phase, they will receive all documentation related to the contest. All fees are non-refundable.
4. Contestants going through the virtual preliminary round will earn the right to perform live in the second selection round at any of the available dates and venues. They need to submit on their applications the title of both of the pieces they will perform on the selection round as well as their author´s names. Any kind of error on this information will cancel the applicant’s participation.
- New Orleans
- St. Petersburg
- Mexico City
6. Applicants should include type of voice (contralto, mezzosoprano, soprano, bass, baritone, tenor or countertenor.)
7. All auditions will be recorded as internal register of the contest.
8. All contestants from outside Mexico will receive between 200 and 500 US dollars to aid their travel expenses to Mexico. Their room and board expenses will be covered by the organizing committee.
9. Contestants must perform:
a. Preliminary Phase (at selected venues): 2 arias de opera, one of them could be a concert aria, zarzuela or opereta.
b. Final Phase (at Hermosillo): 5 opera arias, two of them could be concert arias, zarzuela or opereta.
c. Two of the pieces to be performed should be from the list included in Annex-1.
d. Contestants should sing in at least two different languages.
e. Winners of the following contests from 2016 will pass directly to semi-finals: Viñas, Belvedere, PARIS Awards, Jette Parker and Operalia.
10. Contest Phases
a. Virtual Preliminary Phase from February 08 to March 28
b. Preliminary Live Audition Dates and Venues:
- Barcelona – April 1
- París – April 2 & 3
- Oviedo – April 4 & 5
- Madrid – April 6
- Malaga – April 7
- St. Petersburg – April 8
- Tenerife – April 10
- Mexico City – April 15 & 16
- Hermosillo- April 22 & 23
- New Orleans – April 28, 29 & 30
c. Semifinals will take place from May 20 to May 27 in Hermosillo, Sonora.
d. The final will be on May 28, 2017, in Hermosillo, Sonora.
e. On May 29 there will be a full rehearsal with the contest winners, accompanied by the Philharmonic Orchestra of Sonora.
f. On May 30 winners will perform in a concert accompanied by the Philharmonic Orchestra of Sonora, as part of the International Pitic Festival 2017.
11. Application procedures to the Sonora International Opera Competition Francisco Araiza are the following:
a. Download application form from the website www.franciscoaraizacontest.com
b. Fill out every required field in the application (any missing information will automatically disable the registry).
c. Send the application form properly filled out to the email address email@example.com, as well as the following documents:
- Completed Application Form
- Official Documentation (scanned in color) to show proof of age and nationality.
- Proof of Payment
d. You will receive a confirmation email when all documentation is received.
(Amounts in mexican pesos or their amount in dollars at the day’s exchange rate)
- First Prize: $400,000 (approx. $20,000 US Dlls.)
- Second Prize: $200,000 (approx. 10.000 US Dlls.)
- Third Prize: $100,000 (approx. 5.000 US Dlls.)
- Zarzuela Prize: $60,000 (approx. 3.000 US Dlls.)
- Sonora New Artist Prize: $50,000 (approx. 2,500 US Dlls.)
- Francisco Araiza Special Prize: $100,000 (approx. 5.000 US Dlls.)
- Performing role in an opera production at the National Opera Company of Fine Arts (Mexico City).
- Performing role in the Theater of the Zarzuela (Spain).
- Performing role in an opera production at Oviedo Opera (Spain).
- Performing role at the Jefferson Performing Arts Center in New Orleans.
- Opera course at the Tenerife Opera Studio, all expenses paid (Spain).
- Direct audition at Teatro Real (Spain).
- Direct audition at Malaga Opera (Spain).
- Advance Singing Technic Course at the International Music Academy Elena Obraztsova.
- Advance Opera Singing Master Class with Miquel Ortega in Europe.
- Artistic Management services by Solfa Management.
- Courses and master classes participation at the Theater of the Zarzuela (Spain).
- One-year Course scolarship for Music Training at the Conservatorio Superior de Música del Liceu
**The organizing committee may request a pre-screening video from the contestant if necessary.